N Street and Potomac Avenue NW
One of the most handsome rows of Federal style townhouses in Georgetown. Built by Clement and Walter Smith in 1810, the house was owned by the author Herman Wouk ("The Caine Mutiny," "The Winds of War," "War and Remembrance" et al) before it was purchased by Dr. Tina Alster and Ambassador Paul Frazer in 2009. The Jacobsens were tasked with stabilizing and enhancing the structure's historic features, repairing the waving brick, window and door restoration and a complete renovation of the interior without disturbing the Federal era "two pile plan."
Architectural Photography: Robert C. Lautman, HABS, Simon Jacobsen.